Monday, August 27, 2012

8/27/2012


This week was CRAZY! Lets see what all happened... The biggest thing was my very first experience with Transfers! Pretty exciting, but I'll get to that later. We also had a missionary leaving the Owego Ward to go preach in Las Vegas. Also, I got to speak in Sacrament Meeting... Fun! All in all, it was a very busy, very eventful, and very fun week.

Last Monday had some cool events happen...  Cesar , one of the coolest people out ever, taught Elder Baird and I a few things. A lot of REALLY tough exercise workouts. He's such a cool man! He's 72 years old and has a lot of different health difficulties, but he is such a good example to me! He is ALWAYS at Church, no matter what. He is a super hard worker and is always doing stuff for his wife. He's also super funny and loves teaching us missionaries the things he's learned in his life. It was really good to get to spend time with him. Then we met with a girl , who has been coming back to Church lately. She is a really great girl that I've loved meeting with lately. We had a very spiritual lesson with her on staying strong in the faith and the things we can do in order to always help out testimonies grow.

Throughout the rest of the week, we had some great lessons with investigators! We have some really great work going on and sometime soon... we should start seeing a few people really progress in the Gospel. It's exciting to see.

Another one of our investigators is super awesome! She's really fun to meet with and really loves learning about our church. After our lesson this past week, she told us about "slag", which is a rock that is naturally partial glass. Then, she gave Elder Baird and I our own pieces of Slag. We later took them home, cleaned them up, and now they look pretty sweet! Mine looks like a big, black rock with a blue-ish tint to it, but if help up to light or viewed at the right angle, it is actually a dark teal color of glass. It's super cool!

Other miscellanious news- This week, I decided that I needed a little bit more variety on my ties, so we made a quick stop at the "Open Door Mission" in Owego. (It's basically like a  DI) In there, I was able to find 4 new (to me) ties that all looked pretty good! In fact, I'm wearing on of them right now. Anyway, I was able to get 4, high quality, good looking ties for only 7 dollars. How cool is that?!? So I now have a few more to mix it up occasionally. :) Also, we were able to finally get the mini copies of Preach My Gospel! It's awesome to have a little copy to have in my backpack that doesn't weigh as much. So that was really great!

So this Saturday was transfer calls... The really scary day that comes every 6 weeks for missionaries. All day, we were worried that even though Elder Baird is training me, he might get transferred away. So at about 7:50 PM, we got a call from our zone leaders informing Elder Baird that he would be staying in Owego, and that I would be serving in.... Owego.  Thankfully, I get to continue working here for a while! What a relief! In 6 weeks from now, I'll get the joy of going through that again...

Then Sunday was a great day! I was lucky enough to get to speak about the Sacrament, the importance of it, and what we can do to prepare for it. My talk was...ok. I had a lot of people tell me I did a good job, but I'm sure I'll get better as I get more practice. Then Sister  Cox  gave her farewell address to the congregation. That was really great to hear! She left today, and she'll be a great missionary! Kinda crazy thought though... If I were to serve in Owego towards the end of my mission, I could actually be at her homecoming as well! How weird would that be?!? We also had one of our investigators at church, and once again- She loved it! I'm glad she's enjoying it and it's really exciting seeing how her life is changing as we meet with her and help her understand God's plans for her.

Now, here I am at another P-Day! After this, I'm going to be off for my missionary duties once again! Grocery shopping, cleaning the car, laundry, and writing letters! Wouldn't have it any other way!

I'm really grateful I get to stay here in Owego for a while longer. I'm really loving the people in the ward, the people we're teaching, and all of the ways that I'm growing as I serve there. I'm glad for this oppertunity to serve here and am starting to find out why exactly my Heavenly Father has sent me to Owego, New York!

As school is starting up again and life is getting busy for friends and family back home, I wish you all the best! You're all in my prayers!

Love you all!

-Elder Mitch Hussey

No comments:

Post a Comment