Tuesday, December 17, 2013

12.16.2013


It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! Guess what the total snow amount is up to now?

Made your guesses? We've gotten....................... 6 Feet of snow! Woohoo! It's actually getting to the point where there is enough snow that it is starting to compress itself and look like less. The "Powder" is almost compact enough that you can walk on it! It's pretty exciting!

The Storm started on Wednesday, which was when we got our first 2 feet. Then we got a break Thursday morning, ran to Watertown to do another baptismal interview, then the snow started back up as we came back into town. We got another 1.5-2 feet that night, but weather was cleared up enough in the morning that we were able to go to Utica for a Zone Training Meeting. Then it started again Saturday night and dumped another foot or two. In fact... Church was cancelled! That was really really weird. I didn't like that. It's funny how you can come to appreciate something like Church so much. In the past, I didn't notice how much of an impact missing church had on me. However, I could tell a big difference to my day yesterday! But yeah! It's been pretty snowy here in Lowville. It's gotten below 0 degrees a few times, but then it's warmed up again and snowed some more. Everyone is talking about a warm front that is going to hit us this Friday. The rumor is it's going to be 50 degrees. If that's true, and all of this melts, we're probably going to get hammered by another storm. The weather fluctuating this much is crazy and I'm sure it'll be a winter to remember!


This last week has been really good here in Lowville though. It's really taught me about the importance of service. We've gone out and shoveled a lot! We would walk almost everywhere (because roads were bad) and just shoveled out people's walks! However, after doing a lesson and walking back the same way, it didn't even look like we did anything. But doing anonymous service that nobody will probably know about feels pretty good!

We had a less-active member that we really were wanting to meet with on Wednesday, but she had been unresponsive to our efforts to contact her all week. So, we had the idea to go with a member and shovel out her driveway! As we did so, she ended up seeing us, coming out to talk with us, then inviting us in and making us grilled cheese sandwiches. It was great! It turned out that she had just been having a really difficult week and was struggling with some things, and she didn't feel like talking to anyone. However, after our visit with her, she felt a lot better and has been doing really good! We've been in contact with her several times and she is really looking forward to meeting with us later this week.

When we went to Utica on Friday, our Zone Leaders (Elder McPhee and Elder Davis- Both Elders that I came out with!) gave a training on Christ and the "Christlike Attributes". It was a really cool meeting! They had assigned everyone to study one of the Christlike Attributes before and I studied humility. In my study, I really came to understand how important it is that we trust God. Unfortunately, I have the tendency to trust my own knowledge and wisdom a little bit too much. This helped me realize how important it is to trust though. Trust that God is in control. Trust that all of the other missionaries have the Spirit and have good ideas I should listen to. Trust that God trusts me. It was actually a pretty enlightening experience in preparation for the training. Then the training was really good and helped me understand the Savior a little bit better, and recognize that there is a lot that I don't know. I still have a lot to learn! But I feel like I have a new sense of peace and direction in my life since Friday. It's a subtle difference, but I think it will make a big difference throughout the rest of my mission and my life. It was really good.

I cannot believe Christmas is already so close! It absolutely baffles me. Honestly, I feel like it was Dec 2nd just yesterday. I'm not sure what will happen with the packages, but it'll all work out however it works out. :) I'm not sure what we're going to do this year for Christmas.. I might see if I can order some pictures of Christ again.  Then we could get frames out here and maybe get that together before Christmas. I had plans to figure this out far in advance, but Christmas has just snuck up on me!

I have something that I'm going to get sent to the house. Hopefully that makes it there okay. Besides what I've mentioned above, that's about all that is going on out here! I love the Christmas Season and the things which it reminds us of. I'm grateful for all of you and the things that you do for me!

I love you guys!
-Elder Hussey

No comments:

Post a Comment