Monday, October 1, 2012

10/01/2012


The weather here in Owego is starting to get colder! The leaves are starting to change, and while many people have said it's not as good as most years, seeing the colors of thousands of trees in the distance is really awesome. As one of our investigators puts it, "Only God could paint colors that beautiful." We're going up to a scenic view of Owego sometime today to get pictures of all the color trees and the town. That should be fun! But when we walk outside in the mornings it's a little chilly, so it's perfect weather to wear a suit. Suit up! Also, the wonderful Sister Cox was able to fix my winter coat's messed up pocket, so I'm doing good there. Tomorrow, we should be in Elmira and we're going to stop by Burlington Coat Factory again, so I'll probably be buying a liner for the coat. That mixed with the UnderArmour will work pretty great!

 
Besides the weather changing, not much new is happening for us here in Owego. I was able to get out a few times and teach, which was really nice. The Ward here is being super awesome at getting somebody to stay with Elder Baird while I go with one them and teach. It's been trial by fire in teaching however, as I am planning and teaching most lessons by myself. But I've done fairly well with it.

 
One funny thing happened last week... Elder Baird got a medical test that required him to be knocked out for a little while, and when I picked him up, he was pretty loopy...for the rest of the day. So I got the pleasure of pushing him around the hospital in a wheelchair, watching him try to tie a tie for several minutes, and taking care of him. It was a pretty interesting experience... and really funny. He said some hilarious things...and he remembers none of it. :)

 
Another cool experience I had was getting to work with the AP's in Owego. Elder Becerrill, who was also trained in Owego went and taught a few lessons with me. He's an awesome missionary and it was great to see how he worked with people. We met a Born Again Christian on the street and had a 30 minute Gospel discussion with her, followed by a 5 minute prayer by her.  It always makes me chuckle a little when the people we talk to pray for us to "come to the knowledge that we're wrong" and that "we need to find that Christ is our Savior". Most people like that don't really listen to anything we say. No matter how much we talk to them about how important Chirst, repentance, and baptism is, they still don't believe we're Christian because we have the Bible and Book of Mormon. But, I've come to realize you can't make anyone understand your beliefs, unless they're willing to listen.

 
Another fun thing that happened this week.. I taught a combined Relief Society/Priesthood lesson at Church yesterday! Elder Baird was feeling sick, so I was in charge. I taught everyone about Mormon.org and all of the great resources on the internet that can help further on the missionary work. The ward seemed to enjoy/understand what I was trying to teach them all and hopefully they'll all try the things that I taught them can help missionaries out.

If any of you want a few fun things to do to help out missionary work, you can-

1. Make a Mormon.org profile. It's pretty easy and fun to do. Just go to mormon.org/create and follow those steps.

2. Watch Mormon Messages or the "I'm a Mormon" videos on either Mormon.org, LDS.org, or YouTube and then share them with people on Facebook, twitter, etc. Don't plaster them on your page, but as you share one or two videos on occasion, it might show somebody how the Gospel can help them.

All in all, it was a fun lesson to teach and it all went pretty well.

 
This next week should be exciting! We're going to District Meeting in Elmira tomorrow, then the missionaries from the mighty Corning Area, Elder Hougaard and Elder Plotkin, are coming to spend Thursday/Friday with us, and then we get to watch GENERAL CONFERENCE this weekend! I'm really excited to see what our Prophet and leaders of the Church have to say to us this year. I feel like I'll get more from it this year than I ever have before! I feel like if anybody has any questions about our religion, they just need to watch conference this coming weekend. With all the interest and publicity we've gotten lately, this could be the greatest watched conference yet! I expect (and know) great things from Conference, and I'm determined to do whatever I can to learn from it.

 
Random info- I've gotten slightly experimental this past week with food. My weirdest creation? A Mac-N-Cheese Quesadilla. Don't knock it before you try it! It was actually kinda good! :)


Hope everyone is doing well at home. I appreciate everything that you all do for me. You're all awesome!


Love you guys!

 
-Elder Mitch Hussey

No comments:

Post a Comment