Saturday, June 22, 2013

6.17.2013

Hello Family!

What a crazy week... The ups and downs of the mission are crazy sometimes and have taught me a lot about life. So I probably told you about how we had 5 investigators with baptismal dates for June 22nd last week, right? That made our week really crazy! We had tons of people to see, a lot of preparation to do, and a lot of things to get taught so everyone was ready for baptism. The week was going really well and just flying by. On Saturday, we had taught 18 lessons. That is really good for the NYUM. We had set up the baptismal interviews for everyone and they were all set to come for the interviews at the church at 7.

 
But we got a phone call from one of our investigators. He said that he couldn't handle paying tithing and he couldn't go through with everything. He had totaled up the entire amount of what tithing would be for the year and was saying that he shouldn't have to pay that much for tithing and that he could go to any other church for free. We had thought that he understood and accepted tithing really well when we had taught it, and he has such a solid testimony of the Book of Mormon already. In the course of about a month, he'd read all the way up to Mosiah 18. He'd been marking scriptures like crazy and just loved it! So that was pretty hard on Elder Bybee and I.. We've tried getting in contact with him, but we haven't been able to since he left us that message.
 
Just a few minutes later, we had another investigator send us a text letting us know she was having a crazy weekend and she would need to cancel her baptismal interview. After that, she wouldn't answer any of our texts and she didn't come to church.. We still have faith that we'll be able to make contact and get her ready for baptism, but it was a little rough.
 
Luckily, the other 2 investigators had their interviews and are good to go.. Although they didn't come to church. So this past week, we only had 1 investigator at church and there were only 36 people total at sacrament meeting. However, like the scriptures say, the witness comes after the trial of your faith. Elder Bybee and I are just going to keep doing our best and I'm sure we'll see things work out. We really have been working really hard, so it's tough to see things not working out, but there's someone a lot better than us that's got a greater plan than us, so I guess we'll just have to trust him that things will work out.
 
This week will be really good though. We have a baptism coming up, Zone Training Meeting, and a new transfer ahead of us. Elder Bybee and I are amazed at all of the progress that has happened in Massena in the past three months and we're really excited to see where we'll be in the coming six weeks. It'll all be good!

The mission continues to go well. It has it's ups and downs, but it's amazing to see how much I'm continuing to learn about life. Elder Bybee and I are getting along really well and I'm excited I get a 3rd transfer with him. I continue to learn more and more every day about how much God is guiding us and blessing us in our lives. I'm learning to slow down and enjoy the simple things even more. It's just been a really great experience for me, and it's not even half over yet! How cool is that? I have over a year of even more growth, knowledge, faith, and understanding headed my way. That's pretty cool. :)
 
Well, thanks for all you do! I appreciate hearing from you all and I love you all as well! I hope you're doing good and that you'll all attend the special missionary broadcast next Sunday at 4:00 MST. I'm still just waiting in anticipation.. I feel like a little kid at Christmas again!
 
Love you guys,
 
Elder Hussey

No comments:

Post a Comment